Sunday, September 2, 2007

ciao roma!


I'm finally here! I got in yesterday afternoon (after minimum taxi terror, might I add--the cab driver only ran two red lights), and mere minutes after my arrival a bunch of us decided to walk to Vatican City. I was exhausted but determined not to miss out on actual sightseeing, so I went along. This turned out to be a foolish mistake, as I had not eaten since 5 am on the airplane. Luckily I bought a bottle of water (non frizzante! yay) on the side of the road to tide me over. St. Peter's Square was beautiful, but smaller than I expected...the basilica, on the other hand, was enormous. we saw the Pieta, St. Peter's tomb, and took a stroll through the grottoes (Pope John Paul's tomb has an armed guard!) After the Vatican, we walked along the Tiber in search of food and photo ops. Eventually we came across a little pizzeria in what I think was Trastevere, but at that point I was delirious with hunger so I can't be sure. Our group of 10 split up and we sat in smaller groups outside. Alissa, remember when you almost got hit by that bus in France? Well, I was having vivid flashbacks last night at dinner--our tables were literally in the road. I had to pull my feet in several times in order to avoid getting flattened by passing trucks, scooters and yes, the occasional bus. Even eating dinner here is a life-and-death experience. Will we live through the appetizers?? God only knows... Anyway, after dinner, two other girls and I broke off from the group and headed back to the Centro, but we of course got lost and spent a sizable chunk of the night wandering through Trastevere, trying to read our maps in the dark and trying not to get hit by cars (sidewalks are rare in this neighborhood...)

This morning was perhaps the greatest adventure thus far--a trip to the Italian grocery store! I remembered what Jules said about weighing your own fruit and luckily avoided getting yelled at in Italian...although I didn't have exact change, and the checkout lady was none too pleased about that. If I have learned one thing so far here, it is that the Italian people love exact change. After our excursion to the grocery store, we went to lunch at an adorable cafe a few blocks from the Centro, where I had a salami panini and "cafe freddo," which I expected to be like iced coffee but was actually a cold shot of espresso. Still, it was tasty, and I followed it up with some yummy blended strawberry ice drink. Deeeelicious!
Since then I've pretty much just been unpacking and staring adoringly out my window at the gorgeous view (that's the photo at the top). Most of the group is moved in now, although we're still waiting on a few stragglers. I'm completely in love with the Centro--the sink and furniture in my room is nice and new, much better than Roho was! The bed's sort of a cot in disguise, but it's not bad. And the most glorious thing of all? There's an ice machine in the basement! YES!!!!!!!!!!! Life is good.

7 comments:

Chanel said...

that is one nice view you got going there =)

i always dreamed of sitting at a street side cafe drinking a cold drink and nibbling on some appetizers.. never did i think you might not make it home with the passing vehicles. nice. keep your arms and legs tucked in at all times =)

Unknown said...

man! i want to almost get hit by cars in italy!
have a great night! ciao bella :)

E.WA said...

non frizzante! brava, studentessa! this all sounds amazing I can't wait to read more :) keep up the excellent posting, scrittore :) Ok, should I stop speaking itanglish? i think it's sort of fun, and before long: you'll be doing the same thing! how fun will that be!? you're already learning italian and it's been like 2 days you language-bitch!

i miss the scoobers out of you but I am thrilled you already love the Centro and everything. how are the peeps? to quote the only thing I ever quote: "who's a bitch and who's a bigger bitch?"

tissies! oxox

Anonymous said...

I FORGOT THIS BLOG EXISTED UNTIL THIS VERY DAY!!! I am so excited that I now have another website to stalk! I'm so glad you are having fun and made it there in one piece and your luggage was safe (nice packing, by the way. I don't know how you did that...). And what's this I hear about Gelato?! I'm so maj jeal.

I miss you and love you dearly!! Kick Italy's ass yeeeah!

Anonymous said...

Ahh! Yay, that's so exciting! I am uber jealous of you and your exciting Italian adventures. The cafe in the road and sightseeing sounds amazing (not to mention the ice machine, if it's anywhere near as hot there as it is here!) Anyway, I look forward to hearing lots more about your experiences and classes and the like; keep up the frequent postings! Love you!

casey said...

omg i just left you a really long comment and it got deleted by this thing!! ah! how very un-cheese molding. the basic gist was, i miss you like crazy and that website where we can talk isnt being very nice to me and i hope you are having a fabulous night watching italian sunsets..or something. i LOVE YOU!! and i cant wait to read more :)
also, i will need some shopping updates as soon as possible.

Jules said...

is this the view from your apartment? !